Embraer EMB 120 Brasilia
Since 1994, manufacture has focused exclusively on the EMB 120ER, with extended range (1575 km) and increased capacity.
Most of the EMB-120's were sold in the US and the Western Hemisphere although some have been purchased by airlines such as Regional in France, DAT in Belgium, DLT in Germany. Although no aircraft have been produced since 2002 it is still available to order because it is made on the same assembly line as the ERJ's, and is made out of many of the same parts. The extinction of commercial turboprops during the late 1990's and the first few years of the current decade was caused by an influx of regional jets. The EMB-120 was a victim of this as well. Only the ability to be built on a regional jet line has saved it from following the out-of-production aircraft like the Saab 340, Do-328, and others. As the aircraft is still officially "in production," it is possible that the recent resurgence of turboprops may result in additional orders for the Brasilia.
The EMB 120 Brasilia is Embraer's only currently-produced aircraft that is a Turboprop. Skywest Airlines currently operates a large fleet of EMB-120s under the United Express and Delta Connection brand. It is available as the EMB-120, 120RT, and 120ER. It uses the same fuselage as other Embraer ERJ aircraft, the ERJ 135, ERJ 140, ERJ 145, and ERJ 145-XR. Other Embraer airliners include the E-Jets, including ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190 and ERJ-195.
- VC-97 - VIP transport version for the Brazilian Air Force.
General characteristics (EMB 120)
- Wingspan: 19.78 m
- Length: 20.07 m
- Height: 2.28 m
- Wing area: 39.4 m²
- Powerplant: Pratt & Whitney Canada PW118/118A/118B 1,800 shp (1,340 kW) × 2. APU available
- Maximum Take-Off Weight: 11,990 kg (ER Version)
- Maximum Landing Weight: 11,700 kg (ER Version)
- Passengers: 30
- ER Version: Additional 400 kg fuel
- Avionics: Collins 5 screen EFIS, dual autopilots
- cf bar: The fraction of the chord that is "flapped". 0.664m (unconfirmed).
- Aspect Ratio:9.86 (unconfirmed)
- 3 consisting of 2 pilots and 1 flight attendant
- Cruise speed: 555 km/h (300 kt)
- Range: 1,428 km
- Service Ceiling: 32000 ft
- Runway: 1100m min.
In August 2006 a total of 208 EMB 120 aircraft were in airline service around the world. Major operators include:
- SkyWest Airlines (68)
- Swiftair (9)
- Ameriflight (7)
- Skippers Aviation (6)
- Network Aviation
- Great Lakes Aviation (6)
- Gulfstream International Airlines (7)
Some 41 other airlines also operate the aircraft in smaller numbers.
- Flight International, 3-9 October 2006
Agricultural: EMB 202 Ipanema
Not developed: CBA 123 Vector
Lists relating to aviation
|General||Timeline of aviation · Aircraft · Aircraft manufacturers · Aircraft engines · Aircraft engine manufacturers · Airports · Airlines|
|Military||Air forces · Aircraft weapons · Missiles · Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) · Experimental aircraft|
|Notable incidents |
|Military aviation · Airliners · General aviation · Famous aviation-related deaths|
|Records||Flight airspeed record · Flight distance record · Flight altitude record · Flight endurance record · Most produced aircraft|