List of notable incidents and accidents involving general aviation
This list of accidents and incidents involving general aviation is grouped by the years in which the accidents or incidents occurred. "General aviation" here includes private as well as corporate aircraft operating under general aviation rules.Template:Fn
Overall, this is an incomplete listing, but is intended to be a complete listing of those accidents and incidents with Wikipedia articles. For more exhaustive lists, see the Aircraft Crash Record Office or the Aviation Safety Network.
- August 15 - Wiley Post and passenger Will Rogers died in the crash of Post's modified seaplane en route from Fairbanks to Point Barrow, Alaska, while taking off from a lagoon, after landing to ask directions.
- July 2 - Amelia Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan disappeared over the central Pacific Ocean en route in their Lockheed L-10E Electra to Howland Island during an attempt to circumnavigate the world.
- February 6 – British European Airways Munich air disaster, an Airspeed Ambassador, chartered by the Manchester United F.C., crashed during takeoff from Munich-Riem airport, killing 23 of 44, including eight Manchester United footballers.
- February 3 - A Beechcraft Bonanza carrying musicians Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson, crashed near Clear Lake, Iowa, in what has become known as "The Day the Music Died".
- December 31 - Baseball player Roberto Clemente died when his chartered DC-7 crashes into the ocean off the coast of Isla Verde, Puerto Rico, immediately after takeoff. Clemente was attempting to deliver relief supplies to Managua, Nicaragua, after a massive earthquake on December 23.
- August 2 - Cessna 501, N15NY. Thurman Munson, catcher for the New York Yankees, died in a crash of his personal jet while practicing touch-and-go landings at Akron-Canton Regional Airport.
- May 28 - Mathias Rust flew illegally into Soviet airspace in a Cessna 172 and landed in Moscow's Red Square.
- April 11 - Cessna 177B, N35207. Jessica Dubroff, a seven-year-old pilot trainee who was attempting to become the youngest person to fly an airplane across the United States, died when her aircraft crashes after takeoff from Cheyenne Regional Airport in Cheyenne, Wyoming.
- December 24 - A Learjet 35A crashed near Lebanon, New Hampshire which led to the longest missing aircraft search in that state's history, lasting almost three years.
- October 12 - singer-songwriter John Denver was killed when the Long-EZ aircraft he was piloting crashed just off the coast of California at Pacific Grove, shortly after taking off from the Monterey Peninsula Airport.
- October 25 - A Learjet 35 flying between Orlando, Florida and Dallas, Texas crashed after flying for almost four hours and 1,500 miles, until it ran out of fuel. Among the six people on board were golf star Payne Stewart and Bruce Borland.
- January 5 - A Cessna 172 stolen and flown by a teenager crashed into the side of the Bank of America Tower in downtown Tampa, Florida.
- April 18 - A Rockwell Commander A112 crashed into the Pirelli Tower in Milan, Italy.
- December 17 - Scaled Composites SpaceShipOne suffered a collapsed landing gear and a runway excursion during a freefall flight prior to its space launches.
- January 2 - A Cessna 206 filled with skydivers crashed into a dam near Ipswich, southwest of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.
- October 11 - A Cirrus SR20 flown by New York Yankees pitcher Cory Lidle and an instructor crashed into the Belaire Apartments in New York City.
- December 10 - A Bell 412SP air ambulance helicopter crashed near Cajon Pass, killing the three member crew.
- July 27 - Two TV news AS-350 AStar helicopters collided in mid-air over Phoenix, Arizona, killing all four aboard.
- March 30 - A privately registered Cessna 501 Citation carrying five people crashed into two homes in Farnborough, Kent, United Kingdom, after taking off from London Biggin Hill Airport. On board were former racing drivers Richard Lloyd and David Leslie.
Lists relating to aviation
|General||Timeline of aviation · Aircraft · Aircraft manufacturers · Aircraft engines · Aircraft engine manufacturers · Airports · Airlines|
|Military||Air forces · Aircraft weapons · Missiles · Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) · Experimental aircraft|
|Notable incidents |
|Military aviation · Airliners · General aviation · Famous aviation-related deaths|
|Records||Flight airspeed record · Flight distance record · Flight altitude record · Flight endurance record · Most produced aircraft|
|This article is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License.|
It uses material from the Wikipedia article "List of notable incidents and accidents involving general aviation".