TR-3A Black Manta
|TR-3 Black Manta|
|Artist's impression (credit Adrian Mann)|
|Primary user||United States Air Force|
The TR-3A is claimed to be a subsonic stealth spyplane with a flying-wing design of some sort. It was alleged to have been used in the Gulf War to provide laser designation for F-117A Nighthawk fighters (attack bombers), for targeting to use with laser-guided bombs (smart bombs). The TR-3A is supposedly manufactured by Northrop.
Because there is no hard evidence of the involvement of any other stealth aircraft in the Gulf War, another hypothesis has arisen. This holds that whatever vehicle has been identified as the "TR-3" is nothing more than a prototype for the B-2 Spirit stealth bomber.
- "TR-3A Evolved From Classified Prototypes, Based on Tactical Penatrator Concept" Aviation Week and Space Technology, June 10, 1991. p 20-21
- “Triangular Recon Aircraft May be Supporting F-117A” AW&ST, June 10, 1991. p 20. William Scott
- "America's New Secret Aircraft" Popular Mechanics, December 1991. p. 32-5. Gregory T. Pope
- "Possible Black Aircraft Seen Flying In Formation with F-117As KC-135s." Aviation Week, March 9, 1992. p. 66-67
- Popular Science, March 1993
- "Stealth Watchers" Wired, Issue 2.02 Feb 1994. Phil Patton (article)
- Federation of American Scientists: Mystery - TR-3A
- Electronic Frontier Foundation: Stealth Watchers (Phil Patton) Wired Ventures 1993
- Quartz (spyplane) CIA spyplane project, follow-up to SR-71. Cancelled in 1991.
- ISINGLASS USAF atomospheric suborbital skip-gliding spyplane. Cancelled in 1960s
- TR-3B Astra UFOlogist speculated USAF spyplane
- Black triangles UFOlogy lore about TR-3 series aircraft
Lists relating to aviation
|General||Timeline of aviation · Aircraft · Aircraft manufacturers · Aircraft engines · Aircraft engine manufacturers · Airports · Airlines|
|Military||Air forces · Aircraft weapons · Missiles · Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) · Experimental aircraft|
|Notable incidents |
|Military aviation · Airliners · General aviation · Famous aviation-related deaths|
|Records||Flight airspeed record · Flight distance record · Flight altitude record · Flight endurance record · Most produced aircraft|