Alisport Silent Club
|Type designation||Silent Club pure|
|Competition class||FAI Ultralight Class|
|Number built||ca. 80|
|Length||6.35 m (20.8 ft)|
|Height||1.25 m (4.1 ft)|
|Cockpit width||0.63 m (2.1 ft)|
|Cockpit height||0.91 m (3 ft)|
|Wingspan||12 m (39.4 ft)|
|Wing area||10.3 m² (111 sq ft)|
|Wing profile||IMD 002 (18%)|
|Empty mass||125 kg|
|Maximum mass||290 kg (640 lb)|
|Wing loading||34 kg/m² (6.96 lb/sq ft)|
|Maximum speed||200 km/h (124 knots)|
|Speed in rough air||135 km/h (73 knots)|
|Stall speed||62 km/h (34 knots)|
|Minimum sink rate||0.70 m/s at 70 km/h |
(138 ft/min at 46 knots)
|Best glide ratio||31 at 85 km/h (46 knots)|
|Roll rate||4 s at 80 km/h (43 knots) |
-45° to +45° bank
The Silent Club is a single seater sailplane of Italian manufacture. It is of the FAI type Ultralight Class glider. It is sold by Alisport ready-to-fly or kit-built as pure glider or self-launching glider. The self-launching version is fitted with a single-blade propeller belt-driven by a two-stroke engine.
Design and construction
- The fuselage is carbon and glass fiber composite with epoxy resin.
- The wings spans 12 meters without winglets.
- The flaperons stretch for 10.0 meters of the full wingspan.
- Schempp-Hirth-type spoilers extend on the upper wing surface only.
- Fixed or retractable main wheel behind the pilot, with shock absorber and drum brake activated via spoiler control lever aft travel.
Safety and operational qualities
- The Silent Club has light ailerons, light elevator, generous rudder. The roll rate is quick because of the lively feel of the ailerons.
- Stall is predictable and recovery simple. In level flight as airspeed is reduced when approaching the stall speed the sailplane vibrate a little, at this point decreasing the angle of attack results in airspeed increase and normal flight resume, from a climbing attitude the sailplane stall decisively, the nose pitch down gently and recovery is easy with stick forward.
- Spin entry is obvious and recovered with rudder and stick.
There are three versions of the Silent Gliders.
The Silent Club version has 12 meter wingspan.
The Silent 2 version has 13 meter wingspan.
The Silent 2 Targa version 13.3 meter wingspan and a special elevator.
- Silent Club Flight Manual
- Soaring March 2005