EADS CASA C-295
|EADS CASA C-295 exhibited at ILA 2002|
|Primary users||Portuguese Air Force|
Brazilian Air Force
Spanish Air Force
Polish Air Force
|Developed from||CASA CN-235|
Design and development
The C-295 is a further development of the commercially successful Spanish transport aircraft CASA CN-235 with a stretched fuselage, 50% more payload capability and new PW127G turboprop engines. The C-295 made its maiden flight in 1998. The first order came from the Spanish Air Force.
The C-295 is used by several air forces and some 57 have already been delivered.
The C-295 was also a major bidder for the US Army/US Air Force Joint Cargo Aircraft (JCA) awarded to the L-3 Communications/Alenia team on June 13, 2007. The C-295 was considered a higher risk by the Army due to its use of a new operational mode to meet altitude and range requirements.
- Troop transport - 71 seats (+ 4 optional)
- Pallet transport - Five 108" x 88" (one in ramp), ten 88" x 54" pallets
- Medevac - 24 stretchers (+ 3 optional)
- Fighter engine transport - Three EJ200
- Vehicle transport - Three light vehicles (Land Rover type)
- Maritime patrol version
- HC-144A - U.S. Coast Guard version
- Algerian Air Force received 10 C-295 for transport and maritime patrol
- Chilean Navy recently purchased 3 C-295 MPA to replace their aging P-3ACH Orions. A further 5 will be purchased to replace a combined fleet of 8 Embraer EMB-111 Bandeirante and 3 Casa C-212A.
- Finnish Air Force operates 2 C-295M, with an option for 5 additional aircraft.
- Royal Jordanian Air Force received 2 aircraft.
- Spanish Air Force received 13 aircraft.
- Swiss Air Force received 2 aircraft.
- United States Coast Guard operates 3 aircraft. The Deepwater program is calling for 36 of these maritime patrol aircraft to be acquired through 2017.
- EADS product sheet (PDF)
- C-295M Twin Turboprop Transport Aircraft, Spain
- Spanish Air Force P-3B Modernisation (PDF)
- Team JCA's C-295/CN-235 Transport Aircraft Fleet Completes 1 Million Flights
- Team JCA's C-295 Advances to Phase II Evaluation for Joint Cargo Aircraft Program.
- Military Services Competing For Future Airlift Missions
Lists relating to aviation
|General||Timeline of aviation · Aircraft · Aircraft manufacturers · Aircraft engines · Aircraft engine manufacturers · Airports · Airlines|
|Military||Air forces · Aircraft weapons · Missiles · Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) · Experimental aircraft|
|Notable incidents |
|Military aviation · Airliners · General aviation · Famous aviation-related deaths|
|Records||Flight airspeed record · Flight distance record · Flight altitude record · Flight endurance record · Most produced aircraft|